Would you like to become one of the TREC GB Trustees? Do you have the skills and experience to help develop TREC GB?
It is now three years since TREC GB introduced their new Constitution and so we need to hold elections for new Trustees. We are seeking up to 6 more Trustees to join the Board of Trustees. Trustees are elected for a period of three years after which they must either stand down or seek re-election.
There are a number of points that you must consider if you would like to stand for the Board.
- You will be expected to have a good working knowledge of British TREC.
- You should read and be familiar with TREC GB’s Constitution.
TREC GB Constitution v2.0
- You will be expected to attend, by phone or computer, conference calls that last about 2 hours. A conference call will usually be held each month.
- You will be expected to become a member of at least one TREC GB Working Group.
- You will have to sign a declaration to say that you are not barred for any reason from becoming a Trustee.
- You will have to sign up to the TREC GB Code of Conduct for Trustees on an annual basis.
TREC GB Trustees Purpose, Expectations and Conduct (annual Commitment) v2.1
- Should you decide to stand down from being a Trustee, the remaining Trustees will expect you to inform them before you make your decision public elsewhere.
- You must live either within Great Britain or on the Isle of Man – ie the countries within which TREC GB is the governing body for the sport of TREC.
- You must never have been the subject of any disciplinary action within TREC GB including official removal from or suspension from any committee or sub-committee or in terms of your membership.
As a TREC GB Trustee, there are many things that you must do, including ensuring that:-
- TREC GB is carrying out its purpose for the public benefit. You need to know what it can & can’t do, whether it’s fulfilling its purpose & whether it is actually making a difference.
- Both you & TREC GB are complying with TREC GB’s governing document & the law. So you will need to be familiar with TREC GB’s Constitution & any laws that apply to TREC GB. You will also need to ensure that returns are made to the Charity Commission (CC) correctly & on time & that the CC is kept up to date with appropriate changes.
- You act in TREC GB’s best interests by making informed & balanced decisions, recognising & dealing with conflicts of interest, being prepared to question, challenge & accept majority decisions, and to re-examine previously made decisions to ensure the continued best interests of TREC GB .
- You act with reasonable care & skill, using your own skills & experience. Know when you need to take advice, seek it & act upon it. Ensure that you prepare for meetings. Be prepared in case something goes wrong.
- TREC GB is accountable by meeting all its legal accounting & reporting requirements, showing that it complies with the law in an effective manner, is accountable to its members, volunteers & Affiliated Clubs & that they, in turn, are accountable to the TREC GB Board.
The requirements for being a Trustee are outlined in various documents available by the following links from the Charity Commission. Please ensure that you have read them.
The essential details:
The essential trustee: what you need to know, what you need to do – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
The Government’s “5 minute guides”:
Charity Commission guidance – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
You must not act as a Trustee if you are disqualified unless authorised to do so by a waiver from the Charity Commission. The reasons for disqualification are shown in the disqualifying reasons table and include:
- being bankrupt or having an individual voluntary arrangement (IVA)
- having an unspent conviction for certain offences (including any that involve dishonesty or deception)
- being on the sex offenders’ register
Automatic disqualification guidance:
Automatic disqualification guidance for charities – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
In addition to completing the Application form, including asking one other TREC GB member to propose your nomination and another to second their proposal, you will need to complete the Declaration form confirming that you are not ineligible to become a TREC GB trustee.
Board of Trustees Application Form
Board of Trustees Declaration Form
Please note that TREC GB has taken out Trustee Insurance so there is no financial risk to being a Trustee.
However, there are exclusions, including not covering you:-
- for any liability arising from or connected with the giving of professional advice or service whether or not for remuneration or any act, error or omission relating thereto,
- for any intentional dishonest or fraudulent act or omission or any wilful breach that you commit of any statute, rule or law.
Please note that all nominations must have been received by TREC GB Admin (firstname.lastname@example.org) by midnight on Monday 20th February 2023.
TREC GB Admin
on behalf of TREC GB Trustees